Including more vegetables and fruit in your diet doesn't have to be expensive. Look for vegetables and fruits that are in season, not only do they taste better, they are generally cheaper to buy.
Asian greens, beans (broad, butter, green), beetroot, broccoli, Brussels sprout, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, chard, cucumber, garlic, herbs, kale, leek, lettuce, mesclun, micro greens, mushrooms, onion, parsnip, peas, potatoes (Kennebec, Dutch Cream, King Edward, Up-to-date, Kipfler, Pink Eye), peas, pumpkin, radish, rocket, spring onion, shallot, spinach, squash, silverbeet, swede, tomatoes, turnip, zucchini
Apples (Braeburn, Gravenstein, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Lady in the Snow, Pink Lady, Fuji, Red Delicious, Gala, Sundowner), blackberries, blueberries, pears (Doyenne du Comice, Packham), quince, raspberry, strawberry. Also: nuts (Walnut)
Other Australian produce
Asparagus, artichoke, capsicum, celery, chillies, Chinese cabbage, eggplant, kohlrabi, fennel, okra, olives, shallots, sweet corn, sweet potato, witlof
Avocado, banana, berries, cumquat, fig, quava, kiwifruit, lemon, lime, mandarins, melons (rockmelon, watermelon), orange (Valencia), papaya, passionfruit, persimmon, plums, pomegranate, tamarillo. Also: nuts (almonds, chestnuts, hazelnuts, pistachio)
Please note: there may be some variation based on local market availability
Recipe: Spiced Carrot Salad
This is a simple but colourful salad made from a humble but versatile vegetable- excellent to serve with any chicken, meat or fish dish, or a favourite curry. You can add freshly chopped coriander and spring onion too. Serves 4-6
- 500g carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 fresh green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place grated carrots in a bowl.
- Heat a wok over medium heat. Add oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add mustard and cumin seeds and stir fry until mustard seeds start popping.
- Remove from the heat and stir in chilli, sugar and turmeric. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour warm spices over the carrots and add lemon juice. Toss together.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Super Foods: the everyday ingredients for a healthy life, 2012, Parragon Books Ltd.